Thank you for visiting our church’s website. Since our beginning from 130 years ago in Tadotsu, we are a Protestant church continuing to share the message of Jesus Christ. Founded by Methodist missionaries, Tadotsu Church is affiliated with the United Church of Christ in Japan (UCCJ).
All are welcome! We have students and trainees from overseas attending our worship services. English speakers are part of our congregation as well. We look forward to the day you join us.
Service and Events
Let us begin the week with worship! We warmly welcome new comers.
A worship service for all children. Know about God while having fun.
Bible Study and Prayer Group
We meet to study the Bible and pray together.
There are also other events and ministries. Check our website for more information.
Tadotsu Church was the first Christian church in Kagawa prefecture. Founded in 1889 by W.R. Lambuth and his father J.W. Lambuth. They were American missionaries of the Southern Methodist Episcopal Church and founders of Kwansei Gakuin University in Kobe. Why was the first church built in Tadotsu, and not in Takamatsu or Marugame? Believers who were already baptized in Osaka and Hawaii, Imanishi Shotaro, Mitani Tadataka, and others learnt that the Southern Methodist Church based in Kobe was planning to evangelize in Western Japan. It is said that these Japanese believers requested Tadotsu to become the Southern Methodist Church’s mission field. From 1888, Tagumiya, a Japanese-style inn became the first gathering place. And on December 22, 1889, the first Christmas service and baptism were observed; thus becoming the day Tadotsu Church was established. Three years later in 1892, the first building was erected, and on March 27, a dedication ceremony was celebrated. Church members in prayer sold their family armor to cover the construction expenses. The current building was built in 1985. From the beginning, in the midst of all the confusion and hardships of our age including, among others, World War II, and the period of rapid economic growth, we have continued to be witnesses of Jesus Christ in Tadotsu.
Also, in 1923, about 30 years after the church was founded, church members from a passion to “share Christ’s love to children”, Aikō Kindergarten was attached to the church. This happened at a time before the government even began promoting social welfare. Even in poverty, Katō Shizue and other women worked together to prepare the funds and with the financial support of churches from abroad, the Kindergarten was able to begin. During WWII in 1944, as a result of reforms in management, Aikō Kindergarten became Aikō Nursery School, and a new building was erected in 1967, moving to where it is currently. From the very beginning our church and nursery school are places where every single child is cared for and as we share God’s love these ministries have continued.
5-11, Motomachi, Tadotsu-cho, Nakatado-gun, Kagawa, JAPAN